heavenly-voices.com Discussion Forum  

Go Back   heavenly-voices.com Discussion Forum > Featured artists > Sissel Kyrkjebø > Torrents

Old 2007-02-24, 23:53   #1
pp
Administrator

pp has a reputation beyond reputepp has a reputation beyond reputepp has a reputation beyond reputepp has a reputation beyond reputepp has a reputation beyond reputepp has a reputation beyond reputepp has a reputation beyond reputepp has a reputation beyond reputepp has a reputation beyond reputepp has a reputation beyond reputepp has a reputation beyond repute
Sissel Kyrkjebø og The Mormon Tabernacle Choir (20051009)

This is a real gem in my collection and if I understand correctly what Sissel has expressed in her interviews, this counts as one of the most important moments of her career. This is where she performs together with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir for the first time. Yes, she was invited again for the Christmas of 2006 so the Mormons obviously liked her, and why shouldn't they?
Sissel actually looks a little nervous here for once. The concert hall can fit 21,000 people and although it wasn't full, the audience was much larger then usual. The choir is massive too, consisting of 360 people. In an interview Sissel said that 20 or so people quit each year and for every vacancy they get 800 applicants!
The first torrent only contains the pieces Sissel sings but the whole 30 minute show is included as a separate torrent for those who want it. Also note that the spoken parts are in English but they're subtitled in Norwegian.
Filelist:
01 - Vitae Lux.mpg
02 - Herre Gud, ditt dyre navn och ære.mpg
03 - Like an Angel Passing Through My Room.mpg
04 - How We Love Our Blessed Norway.mpg

Filesize: 468MB (1GB for the entire show)
Recorded: 2005-05-01, Temple Square, Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
Aired: 2005-10-09, NRK1, Norway, "Sissel Kyrkjebø og The Mormon Tabernacle Choir"
Video: MPEG2 704x576i 25fps AR 16:9
Audio 1: MPEG1 Layer II 2.0 48kHz 256kbit/s
Audio 2: N/A
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sissel-20051009-1.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	251   Click image for larger version

Name:	sissel-20051009-2.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	252   Click image for larger version

Name:	sissel-20051009-3.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	253   Click image for larger version

Name:	sissel-20051009-4.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	254  
Attached Files
File Type: txt tracklist.txt (344 Bytes, 37 views)
File Type: torrent sissel-20051009.torrent (37.6 KB, 63 views)
File Type: torrent sissel-20051009-entire_show.torrent (21.3 KB, 66 views)
pp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pp For This Useful Post:
Old 2011-03-20, 12:58   #2
ANDREW HORVATH

ANDREW HORVATH is on a distinguished road
no stereo!

i downloaded this torrent file sometime ago and recently copied it over to a dvd so i could view it on my big screen tv.both picture and sound quality are excellent except for one major flaw.i'm only getting mono sound.when Sissel is singing with the choir i can barely make out her voice in the mix.in the solo sections when the camera is on her i can here her fine.i did not have this problem with the xmas concert that she did later.i bought the dvd of this concert and whether i listen to the 5.1 or stereo mix her voice is clear and distinct in the mix,as it should be.can you shed some light on this for me?
ANDREW HORVATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-21, 08:03   #3
pp
Administrator

pp has a reputation beyond reputepp has a reputation beyond reputepp has a reputation beyond reputepp has a reputation beyond reputepp has a reputation beyond reputepp has a reputation beyond reputepp has a reputation beyond reputepp has a reputation beyond reputepp has a reputation beyond reputepp has a reputation beyond reputepp has a reputation beyond repute
Well, I can only speculate of course. It's definitely stereo (I listened to it on my headphones) although I agree the stereo separation has room for improvement. I know some surround amplifiers have features to artificially create center and surround channels from a 2-channel source. At least with my amplifier that seems to focus much of the sound to the center speaker which easily can be interpreted as mono so make sure you turn off such features.
About the mix. If you're specifically talking about the last track, the national anthem of Norway, I believe it's intentional. After all, this was a concert to celebrate their Norwegian heritage and the choir's participation in the anthem was in that respect equally important as Sissel's.
Old 2011-03-21, 12:37   #4
ANDREW HORVATH

ANDREW HORVATH is on a distinguished road
thank you for your response.i am at present only listening through my tv speakers which do give out quite good sound quality in their own right but have no special surround modes that are worth engaging.is it possible that Sissel's vocal were recorded on the same vocal track as the choir and just duplicated for both channels and hence giving us dual mono?i suppose only the people who created the mix would know the answer to this for sure.anyway, when i am better able i will try connecting to an outboard surrond amplifier and see if this will give me improved results.
ANDREW HORVATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-21, 13:11   #5
katbert2008
Releaser

katbert2008 has a reputation beyond reputekatbert2008 has a reputation beyond reputekatbert2008 has a reputation beyond reputekatbert2008 has a reputation beyond reputekatbert2008 has a reputation beyond reputekatbert2008 has a reputation beyond reputekatbert2008 has a reputation beyond reputekatbert2008 has a reputation beyond reputekatbert2008 has a reputation beyond reputekatbert2008 has a reputation beyond reputekatbert2008 has a reputation beyond repute
1. Firstly, you need to extract the sound file from the video.

2. Then, you can use "Audacity" to export the sound file to a surround sound format.
http://www.theflipsideforum.com/index.php?topic=7543.0

3. Finally, you can recombine the video with the sound track.

You may need "VLC player" or "ffmpeg" in the step (1) and (3)

Last edited by katbert2008; 2011-03-21 at 13:14.
katbert2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-21, 23:13   #6
katbert2008
Releaser

katbert2008 has a reputation beyond reputekatbert2008 has a reputation beyond reputekatbert2008 has a reputation beyond reputekatbert2008 has a reputation beyond reputekatbert2008 has a reputation beyond reputekatbert2008 has a reputation beyond reputekatbert2008 has a reputation beyond reputekatbert2008 has a reputation beyond reputekatbert2008 has a reputation beyond reputekatbert2008 has a reputation beyond reputekatbert2008 has a reputation beyond repute
I have made a test clip, but I don't have the audio equipment. Please feel free to tell me the outcome.

http://www.filedropper.com/test_11
Old 2011-03-22, 18:16   #7
pp
Administrator

But the audio _is_ stereo as I wrote earlier, just listen to it with headphones. Stereo effect on Sissel's voice doesn't make much sense to me though since she's the main vocalist and her voice is supposed to be centered. I agree that the other audio, especially the choir, could have had a better stereo separation.
Old 2011-03-22, 19:39   #8
katbert2008
Releaser

Morgan,

Thanks. My computer is old and it died this morning . It is likely that its sound card can't generate the Surround 5.1 effect. Accoring to the post in the "Audacity" forum, the outcome wav file should come with six channels.

Last edited by katbert2008; 2011-03-22 at 19:58.
Old 2011-03-23, 04:35   #9
pp
Administrator

Ah, sorry to hear about your computer. Played too much Sissel on it perhaps?
If you're creating surround sound in wav format I would guess you get several separate files because I'm not aware of a standard to encode more than 2 channels in wav (PCM) format. It was a long time since I last looked into these things so there may be some standard today but that would be a risky addition to this very common format since older applications would misinterpret the data.
Old 2011-03-23, 07:51   #10
Stenar

Stenar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pp View Post
This is a real gem in my collection and if I understand correctly what Sissel has expressed in her interviews, this counts as one of the most important moments of her career. This is where she performs together with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir for the first time. Yes, she was invited again for the Christmas of 2006 so the Mormons obviously liked her, and why shouldn't they?
Sissel actually looks a little nervous here for once. The concert hall can fit 21,000 people and as I understood it, it was filled to its limit when Sissel performed. The choir is massive too, consisting of 360 people. In an interview Sissel said that 20 or so people quit each year and for every vacancy they get 800 applicants!
The first torrent only contains the pieces Sissel sings but the whole 30 minute show is included as a separate torrent for those who want it. Also note that the spoken parts are in English but they're subtitled in Norwegian.
I was at this concert, and I was involved in bringing Sissel to Utah to sing with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. It was while serving as a missionary for the LDS (Mormon) church that I first learned of Sissel and became a fan of her music (although I'm no longer Mormon). I also had lunch with Sissel while she was in Salt Lake City for the concert.

The concert hall where this was performed does seat 21,000 and when Sissel came back for XMAS 2006, it was packed each night for 4 nights, but during this first visit in May 2005, the concert hall was NOT full. There were about 7,000 to 8,000 people there for the concert. Every Sunday, the Mormon Tabernacle Choir gives a free concert for the public and they usually only have a few hundred to maybe 500 max show up for the concert.

So, even though the hall was not filled to capacity, it was a much larger crowd than usual. The ushers who help people find seats were overwhelmed with the much larger than usual attendance at the concert. I think there was a larger than usual capacity crowd because I had a local radio station where I knew some announcers promote the concert and they played numerous Sissel songs on the radio prior to the concert.

The choir usually performs in the Salt Lake Tabernacle, which is 150 years old and was being completely renovated and earthquake-proofed when Sissel was in town. So, the choir had performed in the nearby 21,000-seat Conference Center for their weekly concerts during that time period. It's a good thing they were performing in the Conference Center, because the Tabernacle only seats 7,000 and probably not everyone who came would've been able to see/hear Sissel.
www.sissel.org
First site on the 'Net about Sissel
Since 1997

Last edited by Stenar; 2011-03-23 at 08:01.
Stenar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stenar For This Useful Post: