heavenly-voices.com Discussion Forum  

Go Back   heavenly-voices.com Discussion Forum > Main > General info & announcements

General info & announcements Everything you need to know to fully appreciate this forum.

Old 2007-11-06, 21:54   #1
pp
Administrator

pp has a reputation beyond reputepp has a reputation beyond reputepp has a reputation beyond reputepp has a reputation beyond reputepp has a reputation beyond reputepp has a reputation beyond reputepp has a reputation beyond reputepp has a reputation beyond reputepp has a reputation beyond reputepp has a reputation beyond reputepp has a reputation beyond repute
Attention Comcast users!

If you're a Comcast user you should know that your ISP is actively disrupting BitTorrent transfers using equipment from Sandvine Incorporated. There's unfortunately no easy way around this at the moment and you will find it almost impossible to download anything from this forum. If net neutrality is important to you, you should probably consider another ISP.

There's a small page on Wikipedia describing this in more detail.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandvine
pp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-07, 21:19   #2
Stenar

Stenar is on a distinguished road
Comcast Sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by pp View Post
If you're a Comcast user you should know that your ISP is actively disrupting BitTorrent transfers using equipment from Sandvine Incorporated. There's unfortunately no easy way around this at the moment and you will find it almost impossible to download anything from this forum. If net neutrality is important to you, you should probably consider another ISP.

There's a small page on Wikipedia describing this in more detail.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandvine
I have Comcast, but I am still able to download torrents. Although, I am still able to download torrents, my internet gets really slow, especially when I'm trying to access web pages.

Unfortunately, there is no other real alternative in my area for hi-speed internet than Comcast.
Stenar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-07, 23:29   #3
pp
Administrator

pp has a reputation beyond reputepp has a reputation beyond reputepp has a reputation beyond reputepp has a reputation beyond reputepp has a reputation beyond reputepp has a reputation beyond reputepp has a reputation beyond reputepp has a reputation beyond reputepp has a reputation beyond reputepp has a reputation beyond reputepp has a reputation beyond repute
One of my friends in the US also has Comcast. I can log the behaviour described in the wikipedia article when I transfer to him and the performance is really bad. But he seems to be able to use Bittorrent with other people within the US so it seems Comcast is selectively killing some transfers.
Btw, some guy in California recently sued Comcast over this:
http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/200...t-sued-ov.html
Old 2008-01-28, 05:25   #4
yorge86

yorge86 is on a distinguished road
Hi maybe this works, click here
yorge86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-28, 15:55   #5
pp
Administrator

Your attempt to help Comcast users here is appreciated. Linking to a Spanish article though might not be that helpful. Anyway, the technique used by Comcast is most likely not possible to circumvent with the current BitTorrent protocol. There's a week spot in that protocol. When the client initially contacts the tracker, the communication is unencrypted and both parties exchange the data ports used in any further communication. Whether the data is encrypted after this is irrellevant since any communication using those port numbers can be altered, which is exactly what Comcast does. But again, it seems Comcast is selectively killing BitTorrent for now. Maybe the media attention has scared them a little...