heavenly-voices.com Discussion Forum  

Go Back   heavenly-voices.com Discussion Forum > Main > General info & announcements

General info & announcements Everything you need to know to fully appreciate this forum.

Old 2007-02-28, 13:04   #1
pp
Administrator

pp has a reputation beyond reputepp has a reputation beyond reputepp has a reputation beyond reputepp has a reputation beyond reputepp has a reputation beyond reputepp has a reputation beyond reputepp has a reputation beyond reputepp has a reputation beyond reputepp has a reputation beyond reputepp has a reputation beyond reputepp has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Media player FAQ

1. I can't play the videos.

The video files on this forum are encoded in high quality MPEG2. If you have a software DVD player installed on your computer you could probably play these videos without problem already but to fully utilize the potential of your computer you should consider using one of the following media players instead.

Media Player Classic

This player is only for Windows. It needs no installation and has built-in support for MPEG2 and lots of other formats. Make sure you download the right version. There is one for 98/Me and one for W2K/XP.
If you want to be able to show subtitles, that are sometimes included as external files, you need to change some settings. Go to View/Options/Playback/Output. On the right you have an area titled "DirectShow Video". Select "VMR7 (renderless)**" here or even "VMR9 (renderless)**" if your graphics card supports DirectX 9 or better. VMR7 should work in any case. Then select OK to save the new setting and you're ready to go.

VLC media player

VLC is a more advanced media player but it also works on Linux and OSX. It should automatically show subtitles if they exist but there is another trick you have to learn with this software. Most of the media files on this forum are interlaced. I will spare you the technical details (unless you really want to know) but the effect of this is that objects that are moving across the picture frame will look really weird at the edges. There will be an ugly comb-like effect. To avoid this you can simply right click on the picture and select Deinterlace/Bob and everything should be fine. If your computer is too slow you can try Deinterlace/Discard instead. This will throw away every second field of video and greatly reduce the power needed to play the video.

2. Audio and video is out of sync.

Audio and video can sometimes be out of sync and there can be many reasons for this which I won't go into at this point. If necessary you can adjust the sync in most media players.

Mplayer for Linux is probably the easiest program to accomplish this in. Simply use the + and - buttons on the numerical keypad.

Media Player Classic can adjust the sync on-the-fly too. While playing, right-click on the video and select Audio/Options. Check "Audio time shift (ms)", enter a value and then click OK

In VLC just use Ctrl-K or Ctrl-L.

Generally a value of 100 or -100 (milliseconds) will do just fine depending on if the audio is ahead or behind.
pp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-07, 23:36   #2
shekinah

shekinah is on a distinguished road
thanks. I have a mac. so I'm downloading the player now.
shekinah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-07, 23:40   #3
pp
Administrator

pp has a reputation beyond reputepp has a reputation beyond reputepp has a reputation beyond reputepp has a reputation beyond reputepp has a reputation beyond reputepp has a reputation beyond reputepp has a reputation beyond reputepp has a reputation beyond reputepp has a reputation beyond reputepp has a reputation beyond reputepp has a reputation beyond repute
Very nice. Please confirm if VLC works for you too. I haven't heard from a Mac user previously so I only have the info on Videolan's web site to refer to. However, there should be software DVD players available on Mac that can play the videos I guess...
Old 2007-12-07, 23:50   #4
shekinah

shekinah is on a distinguished road
you are right. it may not work but my mac has an Intel processor and when I clicked on the link, I got an option for a download for MacOs X Intel so we'll find out if it works after the dowload is completed in 31 minutes. *crossing fingers*
shekinah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-08, 00:12   #5
pp
Administrator

Oh, that long? Got a slow Internet connection? The video files here are HUGE... they will take forever to download if you're on a regular modem.
Old 2008-01-14, 20:34   #6
pp
Administrator

I've added a section to the FAQ on how to deal with audio and video when they're out of sync. Also a small addition to VLC deinterlacing.