heavenly-voices.com Discussion Forum  

Go Back   heavenly-voices.com Discussion Forum > Featured artists > Sissel Kyrkjebø > Torrents

Old 2011-02-20, 16:58   #21
katbert2008
Releaser

katbert2008 has a reputation beyond reputekatbert2008 has a reputation beyond reputekatbert2008 has a reputation beyond reputekatbert2008 has a reputation beyond reputekatbert2008 has a reputation beyond reputekatbert2008 has a reputation beyond reputekatbert2008 has a reputation beyond reputekatbert2008 has a reputation beyond reputekatbert2008 has a reputation beyond reputekatbert2008 has a reputation beyond reputekatbert2008 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilliam2255 View Post
Does anyone have any idea why this excellent concert hasn't come out on DVD?
I understand Universal expected to sell about 100.000 copies and actually sold more than 400.000. Thanks to Morgan we can watch it but I can't understand the marketing decisions Sissel's management and record company make!!
I have an impression that her recording company is not very supportive on her international career. For an example, Sissel's name is not even listed in www.universalmusic.com

I think it is very unlikely for Sissel to tour in the US again. From Sissel's facebook, I find that there is an American fan who traveled to Norway to attend Sissel's concert! Maybe we should consider to do sonething like that.
katbert2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-21, 02:09   #22
jwilliam2255

jwilliam2255 is on a distinguished road
Katbert,

Universal might not be quite as bad as you think. I wouldn't really expect her to be listed at universalmusic.com which is mainly for US artists. She is listed with a webpage at their Norwegian site: http://www.universalmusic.no .

You may be right about a US tour. I can think of some reasons that Sissel might not want to leave Scandinavia now: she may not want to be away from her daughters for several weeks; long plane trips are a good way to catch a cold or flu; or she may not think she has enough fans here.

On the last point, I hope that facebook and especially youtube will convince Sissel and Continental Management that has enough fans here. Of course, if her next CD was maybe 1/2 english lyrics that would help.

On facebook I sent Jim Andersen a message after he posted on Sissel's wall that he was translating some of her songs to English. He sent me several of them and they are helpful. Jim is of Norwegian descent although a US citizen. I think he contacted Sissel before his trip and he was able to spend three hours with her I would love to take a vacation to Norway and go to a concert or two but I can't do it this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katbert2008 View Post
I have an impression that her recording company is not very supportive on her international career. For an example, Sissel's name is not even listed in www.universalmusic.com

I think it is very unlikely for Sissel to tour in the US again. From Sissel's facebook, I find that there is an American fan who traveled to Norway to attend Sissel's concert! Maybe we should consider to do sonething like that.
jwilliam2255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-21, 09:58   #23
Stenar

Stenar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by katbert2008 View Post

Sissel is not listed on universalmusic.com because Universal Music is NOT her record label outside Norway any longer. Sissel changed to Denon Classics a few years ago. http://www.denonclassics.com
www.sissel.org
First site on the 'Net about Sissel
Since 1997
Stenar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-21, 11:18   #24
Mikael

Mikael is a jewel in the roughMikael is a jewel in the roughMikael is a jewel in the roughMikael is a jewel in the rough
English translation of Sissel's song

Wiliam,
if you are looking for translations of some specific non-English songs, I would love to help you. Just let me know.

Mikael
Mikael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-25, 09:35   #25
jwilliam2255

jwilliam2255 is on a distinguished road
English translations

Mikael,

Thank you for your very kind offer. On youtube, sisselfan has made a good start by adding English sub-titles to those of Sissel's Scandinavian-lyric songs that he has uploaded. His translations read fairly well in English but there are many songs he hasn't posted. A genuine lyrical translation (meaning, rhyme and meter are all preserved) may be very difficult or impossible for some songs. But I find a trans-literation, which gives the meaning and maybe a little of the "feel" of the song, really increases my appreciation of her music. So many of her songs have beautiful, strong lyrics and it is unfortunate that her managers and record companies have never provided lyrical help for her non-Scand. fans. Especially since English is the 2nd (or 3rd or 4th ...) language for so much of the world. Oh well!

I can't ask you to translate 30 or 40 songs so I'll get back to you with one or two.

Again for your offer, Tusen Takk!

/John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael View Post
Wiliam,
if you are looking for translations of some specific non-English songs, I would love to help you. Just let me know.

Mikael
jwilliam2255 is offline   Reply With Quote