heavenly-voices.com Discussion Forum  

Go Back   heavenly-voices.com Discussion Forum > Main > Support

Support If you have trouble downloading or watching or even have problems with the forum itself you can post here. You're expected to read all the FAQs first!

Old 2009-03-02, 12:25   #1
cbernard

cbernard is on a distinguished road
Help with uTorrent... [solved]

I have the following problem: I haven't done anything with my router's configuration, I haven't modified anything in my connection, my uTorrent settings... I haven't done anything at all, but somehow uTorrent won't download anything at all and I have an red exclamation mark in the lower part saying that there aren't any incoming connections. I don't know what to do, because I didn't do anything to make this happen. I read in some forums a lot of things about "ports" and such, but I don't get why I should set ports or anything like that if I have been downloading things without a problem up to now. I just don't get what happened and why uTorrent isn't working anymore. Can anyone help me?
cbernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-02, 14:18   #2
pp
Administrator

pp has a reputation beyond reputepp has a reputation beyond reputepp has a reputation beyond reputepp has a reputation beyond reputepp has a reputation beyond reputepp has a reputation beyond reputepp has a reputation beyond reputepp has a reputation beyond reputepp has a reputation beyond reputepp has a reputation beyond reputepp has a reputation beyond repute
If two computers, A and B, want to share files you first have to establish a connection between them. Either A can connect to B or B can connect to A. Think of it as a phone call, it doesn't matter who calls, when the connection is established both participants can both speak and listen - data can flow both ways. A firewall and/or a router normally blocks incoming connections while allowing outgoing connections. If B is behind a firewall/router (and hasn't properly configured it), A can never connect to B. B can still connect to A and everything is fine, but what if BOTH A and B are behind firewalls/routers? In that scenario A and B can never connect to each other and therefore never share files and never take advantage of each others bandwidth. Instead they will cause an unproportional load on OTHER computers where the firewalls/routers ARE allowing incoming connections.

Although it's theoretically possible to end up in a swarm of computers where everyone is behind misconfigured firewalls/routers, it's highly unlikely. If you use a software firewall I'd say it's much more likely you have inadvertently blocked uTorrent in it. Since you are behind a router you can safely temporarily disable your firewall and see if it starts working again.

Under any circumstance you really should configure your router with a valid port forward out of respect for all the other users you share files with. There are plenty of descriptions how to do this on the Internet and I link to a very good step-by-step explanation in my BitTorrent FAQ.

/Morgan
pp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-02, 20:53   #3
cbernard

Thanks Morgan, I'll try to see if I can fix it. Although it says there are no incoming connections is working fine now, it's downloading and uploading. But the strange thing is that I didn't change anything in my connection or settings, so I don't get why this is happening. I'll see if I can fix it, but anyway it's working now. Thanks for your prompt answer.
Old 2009-03-02, 21:59   #4
pp
Administrator

pp has a reputation beyond reputepp has a reputation beyond reputepp has a reputation beyond reputepp has a reputation beyond reputepp has a reputation beyond reputepp has a reputation beyond reputepp has a reputation beyond reputepp has a reputation beyond reputepp has a reputation beyond reputepp has a reputation beyond reputepp has a reputation beyond repute
Well, if there are only a few people on the torrent the probability increases that you will find yourself in a situation where nobody in the swarm has a port forward. In that case nothing can be transferred since no one can connect to anybody else.

If there instead are many people on the torrent, the other clients will notice that they can't connect to you. When you then connect to them they will "punish" you by lowering your priority which means you won't get any data at all periodically. It's all in the BitTorrent protocol.

Both situations can be overcome by configuring a proper port forward and assuring your firewall isn't blocking incoming connections. This is not unique to BitTorrent - every P2P-protocol work the same way although other protocols aren't actively punishing you for not configuring your router correctly.

/Morgan
Old 2009-03-03, 00:47   #5
cbernard

What I still don't get is why does it still say there are no "incoming connections" by my torrents are uploading normally... weird.
Old 2009-03-03, 11:20   #6
pp
Administrator

"Incoming connections" is referring to the initial "phone call" I talked of earlier. No one can connect to you because your router is blocking them but you can still connect outbound to them instead and then data can flow both ways. To equalize the load between the users, it's important that the initial connection can be made TO you from the outside and that's why uTorrent shows you that warning. Only a port forward can remove it.
Old 2009-03-03, 16:48   #7
cbernard

Ok, thanks a lot Morgan with your help. I read a lot about port forwarding, but it seems my router model is not very famous 'cause I couldn't find anything about it, I tried to forward the uTorrent port and I couldn't do it. Maybe during this week I can fix that... although it's still a mystery to me why this is happening now, and during this years that I have been using uTorrent this never happened.